Friday, January 7, 2011

Xavi and Ballon d’Or

Xavi Hernandez would consider winning the Ballon d’Or an honour, but is happy just to be in contention.
Xavi, 30, has been nominated for European football’s most prestigious individual award along with national and club teammates Andres Iniesta and Lionel Messi.
He faces stiff competition for the prize from Iniesta, who scored the winning goal for Spain in the 2010 FIFA  World Cup final, and Argentinean holder Messi, who continues to astound with his goal-scoring exploits for club and country.
“I would be very excited to win, because it is the best award you can win at an individual level, but I will not lose sleep over it,” Xavi said.
“Just being there, along with Andres and Leo, makes me very happy.”
Xavi set a new record for Barcelona appearances in his 550th match against Athletic Bilbao on Wednesday.
He made his debut in 1998 after graduating from the famed Barcelona youth academy and intends to see out his career with the Primera LaLiga champions.
“For me, to defend the Barcelona shirt is everything and I cannot imagine defending another,” he said.
“It is the club of my life. I am very happy and proud to have broken the record.”
“I have played football all my life, and I intend to continue here for many years. I have left my injury problems behind, because I practically no longer suffer in games.”

No comments:

Post a Comment